As it is the last day of my first year (24 weeks) of self inflicted education, I thought I'd share with you what I've been up to on the creative side of the course.
Throughout the year we have completed four major group projects. For these projects we have created a website, an online game, a mobile device (prototype) and an interactive application. Also in our first semester we did our own individual creative projects. So here are my contributions to the projects and my own individual projects.
Cohort Website - Group project
The brief for this project was to create and develop a website for our cohort so we can publicise our work. The most popular website would be chosen and used. Our group were unfortunately not chosen. In a future post I'll give you the link to the winning website, which was a very nice design!
Here are a couple of screen grabs from the pages of our website that I designed - I unfortunately cannot show you the rest of the website as I don't have access to it.
Once you clicked on a student's profile, it would appear like this displaying a short bibliography about themselves, examples of their work and a link to their own personal website or blog.
Our first individual project. The brief, pretty self explanatory, design a sports poster taking note on the layout. Thank you to Sam and Michaela for being my frisbee models!
Typography animation - Individual project
Some of you may have seen this as I posted it on my facebook page, this typography animation was inspired by BBC Sherlock and my very first attempt at an animation! The audio belongs to the BBC.
Promotional flyer concentrating on colour use - Individual project
My flyer promoted a new sweet at the fictional shop Honeydukes, for this flyer I produced everything from scratch.
Sketching on campus - Individual project
We had to go out during our lecture, sketch something and come back within 45 minutes or so. As I cannot draw because of my disability I took photographs instead.
Digital art - Individual project
The brief was to produce a piece of static digital art taking inspiration from a traditional artist - I chose Vincent van Gogh.
Typography Stamps - Individual project
The brief for this project was given to us from the International Society of Typographic Designers. We had two briefs to choose from, to either produce a typography animation using one of their given fonts or produce a set of 5 stamps with artwork that focused on typography that depicted something or somewhere that meant something to you. I chose the stamp brief and chose Winchester as my subject. The stamps are meant to form the English rose, personally this isn't my best piece of work.
3D Ident animation - Individual project
We had to create a 3D logo for a TV channel or a title sequence for a TV programme and turn into an animation. Unfortunately the video will not upload on here but here is the still from it. This again, in my opinion, is not my best work.
The brief for this was to design and develop an online game for children that would educate them in some way. Our game was called 'Abandoned' and was focused on this alien that had committed a crime so as it's punishment had to help restore different planets. I cannot show you the final game as I don't have access to the files. However here are a few of my digital sketches from the initial design stage.
I also drew up some concept art for an alternative game, a maze that had puzzles throughout for the child to complete - not dissimilar to the maze in the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Mobile Device - Group project
The brief for this was to come up with a device that 'solved a problem'. Our chosen target audience was the extreme sports demographic. Our device was a sort of smart watch, a device that would connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth. The device was designed so it would strap to your forearm, have big easy buttons to press and an e-ink screen (like you would get on a Kindle) so you could see it in bright sunlight. We focused it on skiing however it could be used for other sports also for people who struggle to use touch screen phones. We named it Go2, as in the Go2 smart watch. I was charged with digitally 3D modelling it. We also 3D printed it but I annoyingly don't have a photograph. This was probably my most enjoyable project.
The device displayed at night.
Interactive application - Group project
For our last project the brief was to create and develop a working concept interactive application for The Royal Green Jackets Military Museum in Winchester. Our target audience was children between 7 and 11, and the app was a character that would 'travel through time' with the child around the museum. In each area there would be a puzzle or a quiz for the child to complete. I was charged with creating the leaflet and designing the character.
So that was a summary of my creative work this year! I hope you have enjoyed looking at what I have come up with and thank you for making it to the end of this unintentionally long blog post!
Until next time!